Friday, October 1, 2010

Drumming our way into Fall


Today was the Drum Circle Event at the Interactive Resource Center for "OneCity OneBook"! I wasn't sure what to expect, but I hoped it would be a fun, informal lunch hour that brought some much needed joy to a few people.

What I experienced was so much more than that. While I watched the men and women drumming on pails and buckets, laughing, and moving to the beats, I was reminded of a few very important things:

1. Improvised music and rhythm is FUN. No stressing over notes, accuracy, entrances...just plain old impulse and movement.

2. Adults are scared of kid-like things. When they let go of their inhibitions and join in, they remember what it's like to be a child again. It feels free.

3. Community service is good for the soul. Sharing an experience with others in need really puts things into perspective.

I hope these happy thoughts bring a smile to your face as you kick off your Fall season. Do something nice for someone today!

No comments:

Post a Comment